Sunday, January 16, 2011

Did we lock a cow in the gate again? (subtitled: You'd get your kids taken away if you did that in the States...)





Random cows


Wow. It feels like we have been all over India since the last post...but really it has only been in a select few cities (villages really) within 30km of Dhamtari. The Friesens (grandparents started churches here, parents stayed as missionaries, they grew up here) still have a full schedule up until they leave next Thursday. The 100 yr celebration of the beginning of Zion Mennonite Church at Sankra( near Dhamtari )was this whole weekend (14,15,16) and the reason for them coming to India. However their family seems to have had an influence in every town within 100km...(including Raipur!) so they have to visit a lot of people. They haven't lived here for over 40 years, and some of the people they grew up with have passed away, but it has been very interesting to meet and make contacts with all of these people who are still around. It has kind of been a blessing in disguise (maybe a hassle to them) that we tag along as the doctors that invited us and who we have been sharing meals with are extremely busy, and unable to introduce us to all of these people. Thursday was Shantipur, lunch there...and visiting where the one Friesen couple came back and lived for 3 years in '68-'71, and then dinner back there that night at the church. Let's talk about dinner. 
KC in Shantipur with a guy that wanted his 'photo'
              I'm not crazy about lamb as it is, KC is okay with it...but he's not a big fan of organs (aka brain, liver, kidneys, you name it).  Around here when they cook for a big group of people they take the animal and just throw it in whole into a pot over a fire.  At the church in Shantipur probably 30 of us were eating, and so there were a lot of baby goats killed. (They appeared to be babies because KC had the ribs...and possibly a liver?)It was a very new experience for us. They also eat with their hands, which we are getting a lot better at...you wash before -you wash after...although the rice is a challenge. The food was actually not too spicy, and they were okay at taking "no" to seconds for an answer there :). It was also nice to connect with some of the people that I may come in contact with at the hospital. One girl was a labor and delivery nurse, and spoke some English, so we attempted a conversation. The nurses here have a GNM track...or general nursing & midwifery...which is 3 years.  A lot of nurses do this course of study, and one doctor told me they have more clinical experience so they may become better OR nurses. (or O.T. here) I told the girl I couldn't imagine delivering a baby and we left it at that. KC tried to stick it out with the men on their side of the bonfire. Again-the people are INCREDIBLY nice, and treat us like royalty. It seems to us to defeat our idea of missions sometimes...another thing we are trying to get used to. The people here now are more middle class (for India) because they are the 3rd generation of people since Mennonite Missions started here. Although they are still living in very humble situations compared to the US , they have a lot more money, education, and modern lifestyle then some of the people in outlying villages. Also-we have not had a lot of contact with Hindus, as we have been mostly with Christian Indians.
Choir at Sankra
            The next day started the cetennial celebration at Sankra...a festival really. It started with a parade through the whole town (about 1km) of everybody there singing and clapping...to the church. There were more live flowers than I have ever seen decorating that place, and a HUGE tent that they had rented from a nearby town. ( I cannot imagine how long that took to put up, it was put together with pins I think). There were 2 overflow areas with chairs for if the church became full, and another area under the tent for gathering. All of the services were in Hindi, but the people were so excited to have their esteemed guests (the Friesens) there that on the first night we were included too! We got more flowers, and a special guest pin which was embarrassing but again very nice of them. There were sermons, singing (hymns and praise songs in Hindi-not their strong suit, I think they are better at cultural songs!) and then a "culture show" in the evening with dancing. It went on all the next day (ending with some crazy fireworks illegal in the states), and then ended on Sunday with a final service and tree planting. They were very excited to celebrate 100 years, and there were well over 100 people from all over the area. I think all of the Mennonite churches in Chhattisgarh were represented. Again-everything in Hindi, but Mr.Friesen's sermon was in English translated to Hindi, so at least we could hear that. 
'Ber' fruit everyone kept picking us
   Friday we were unexpectedly taken to a Government building to meet with the state police in order to fill forms out that stated we were in the country. Let's just say that this must not happen too often for them. There were 4 forms, all asking the same thing (including height, hair/eye color) and they had been photocopied with someone else's answers whited out. One guy stood in the middle of the room and yelled things in Hindi to everybody else while they shuffled through our papers. It took 2 hours, and ended with photos of each of us...and then a photo with the guy who appeared to be in charge. The next day when we were called back AGAIN...he proudly showed us the photo that he had run out and printed that same night, which he now keeps in his desk...he said it was "a happy memory". 2 hours in the police station...I did not call a happy memory. Then a girl asked for a picture with me-white people are celebrities. We are all squared away with the police now...I think. Who really knows in India, the language barrier tends to be a bit of a bother.


      The cows really do roam freely here- it is definitely not a myth. In fact we saw 3 huge cows of some kind today that were taking a nap in the very busy road next to the divider. If we forget to close our gate when we leave they wander into our yard...same with the door on our house! They also have water buffalo wandering all over aimlessly...which apparently gives a very rich milk. Who knew. The stray dogs are everywhere as well and yesterday we hit a puppy and the driver kept right on going. I'm trying to get used to that but I doubt I will. We also walked into a house for tea at Shantipur, and I immediately picked up their teeny tiny puppy...it was their pet it had to be safe! KC reminded me that we declined our rabies shots so I put it down....and looking back I think it had fleas.
             Like I said, it is extremely hard to get used to how we are treated here. Because the people have such a history with the Friesens, they were given the highest treatment at the celebration* dinner in a separate place served at a table while all the Indians ate in the other room, people don't let them wait in line for anything they have them cut to the front, drivers wherever we go* and so we were included right along with it. Literally any time you stopped moving someone would ask "You want something, chai? a seat?" Little kids come up and like to practice their English...."Hallo, Whut is yer name? Wher are you frum?" and that is all they can say. Then they give you a piece of paper that says "utogrph book" and ask for your autograph...or "photo" and pull out their cell phones :). It is funny to see that it makes them so happy! Saturday night someone literally thrust their baby at me while it was screaming to take a picture of us and she kept saying..."just one, just one". They have ABSOLUTELY no shame in frank staring. Even if you look at them. KC and I took a walk down the road during the service on Saturday (we needed a break from Hindi monotony) and an entire school of children ran out from the playground pointing and laughing...I think we made their year. There are 2 kinds of schools here...Hindi Medium and English Medium...that one was definitely Hindi, no one spoke a word of English . People also ride ALOT of motorcycles, or small motorbikes, to get around here and they PILE the people on them. Today we saw a woman riding sideways on the back with a toddler in between her and the driver, balancing an infant in her left arm. Yesterday I saw 3 children who looked under 5 squashed together with 2 adults on one small motorbike.  Dr.Chatterjee said that diabetes is on the rise with lack of exercise, people are not having to walk or ride bicycles as much with these new ways of transportation. 
Me in the "Shalwar Kameez"
        I had clothes made this week, and that was an experience in itself. I think it will take some time before I can do it myself. Dr. (Mrs.) Chatterjee took us, or rather the driver dropped us off, outside one of the many shops on the street that ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. We walked in (KC and I with our shoes on, while the owner "tut-tutted" us until we took them off) sat on some mats, and she told him in Hindi my price range. He proceeded to pull out every single fabric in that range(300-400 rupees about 8-10 dollars) and even after I had picked 2 out he pulled them all out and spread them on the floor together so I could see. Shalwar Kamiz have 3 parts-the long top that covers the hips (kameez), the pants that look like bloomers in a triple x when you get them from the tailor (shalwar-but so comfy) and then the scarf (dupatta). I needed a white one for the hospital (well really I was told "oh you can just wear what you want with a lab coat, the doctor will give you a lab coat" but everybody else wears white so I'm trying to blend in...ha), and then picked 2 others out. You then take them to a tailor and they measure you and make the outfit. Or...if you are Dr.(Mrs) Chatterjee, she has the driver drive by the tailors, yell out the window that I need fitted, and then have the driver take me back to her house, so that the tailor comes over (by foot I'm sure) and measures me at home. I got the outfits 2 days later (the tailor charges 530 rupees...about 11 dollars) and they really were very comfortable.  I think I look like a pregnant Indian with white skin wearing it, but people at the celebration told me  " you are looking so beautiful this evening" so I'll take it :).
Aadi-our neighbor (Dr. Mousam's 2 year old)
                To the tune of wild dogs fighting to the death that I hear right now, I will close with a humiliating story that summarizes the awkward moments of India that we have been experiencing since we got here. Because of the celebration this weekend there are several bishops, and members of the MCI (Mennonite Church in India) here in town. Friday night I was cold, and when in India do as they do, so I brought my prayer shawl that mom bought from the World Market. It has writing on it and KC thought I should ask first what it says in Hindi, but of course I did not. Apparently the BISHOP told Mr.Friesen " will you tell that woman that what she is wearing is very offensive to the people, I cannot tell her it will be rude"-and at the same time I had asked another young woman what it said. She grabbed it...stuffed it in my purse and said..."Yes it's in Hindi but it is worshiping Hindu gods put it away!" It was a Hindu prayer shawl that was praising several of their  Hindu gods, which in Christian India is terrible.  I turned around, and a whole circle of people was watching me and laughing. That = KC and Raina in India :-)
Advice for India-brought to you by dove
   As you remember us in your thoughts and prayers- KC suddenly came down with a cold today and is sick in bed with a sore throat. He is trying to sleep it away which on a hard bed and pillow made of rock is difficult. Also, it is still not clear when or what exactly our work will be here.Though we have heard lots of ideas about helping in the hospital, etc, they don't appear to "need" us.  We are loving the people's hospitality, the weather and the time to relax but want to do something ! This is tough for 2 planners, who want to get a job done where we see results. Pray that we remember there HAS to be a reason God put us here, and that the relationships we are starting and our time together can benefit no matter what we do. 
To see the rest of our pictures ( I write way too much, imagine if I put all the pictures up I wanted to ) Click Here

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love that the police officer has your picture in his office for a "happy memory". That really just made my night. You are looking beautiful in your Indian clothes. I love hearing your stories. Just think about all that you are going to make in the next months. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah Rain!! that story about the police and hitting the puppy... oh man... I almost choked on my breakfast laughing!!
    I think you're finding your groove and fitting in very nicely- even with the occasional embarrassing moment :-)
    It's so wonderful that everyone is making you guys feel so at home and showing you the area, but I know how uncomfortable you feel having gone over to help and feeling like everyone is going out of their way to cater to you. As much as you stick out like a sore thumb, remember that every time someone looks at you and thinks about how far you must have come, hopefully they also realize that you did that because you care about them and want to help in whatever way you can, and that is a wonderful thing to show people. So even though it feels akward, you're probably making more of an impact than you realize just by being you.... my little celebrity cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up on all your blog posts...What an amazing adventure you have had in such a short time!!! Unfortunatly, the photos on some of the posts are not loading up for me, and from the stories you are telling, I'm sure that some of the pics are hilarious, too:) Seems as though you are a bit discouraged and uncomfortable, but I'm confident that God will use you in many ways during your time in India, even if He hasn't made those ways clear to you yet. We will continue to pray for you and I look forward to reading more in future posts:)
    Love you you both from "The Shoemaker Seven"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant Love TO you both, not love you you both. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the updates and the pictures. Enjoy your time. God will reveal your purpose in His time. Raina, I love the outfit. Take care guys, your in our prayers. Cindy

    ReplyDelete